When I was looking at leaving my corporate job I had no idea what my calling was or what kind of work I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It took a while to figure it out. I knew what I wanted in terms of the bigger life goals; family, nice lifestyle, security, health but was confused about my calling.
Now I know the wrapping around everything I do is about Teaching. Not the school teacher kind but teaching others how to find courage in themselves, make profound changes, thrive and live the life of their dreams. Sometimes I’m the sounding board that holds the mirror up other times I share tools and techniques of my experience.
I just can’t help myself. Just the other week at the hairdressers I found myself probing the stylist if she had ever thought of starting her own salon and the next hour turned into a brainstorm session for her future mobile hairdressing business. Looking back even when I was working in my tech career professionally my job was helping clients decide why our solution solved their big business challenges. With my peers I was the one who showed others how to find a recruiter, work on their personal brand, pick the right project. In one shape or another I’ve been teaching all my life.
Why is teaching my calling? Because my most heartfelt moments are when the lightbulb turns on and the spark of an idea becomes the start of something big.
Your calling doesn’t have to be your job, it’s your purpose. The thing you do that makes your life meaningful. Ultimately you can design a life and career with your calling at its heart or if that feels too stretched right now you can bring in aspects of your calling into your work and life today.
Here are 20 questions that could help you work out your calling?
- What do people always come to you for?
- What do you find effortless?
- What did you love doing as a child?
- What were you good at in primary school?
- What did you want to be at 13/14?
- Did you ever have a student job, what did you do?
- What is the best job you ever had and why?
- What are your hobbies?
- What new things would you like to try?
- Is there a magazine or newspaper you always buy?
- What section do you read first?
- If you have an afternoon off what would you do to chill?
- Is there something that feels missing in your life?
- Whose life do you secretly admire?
- If you were offered a two week internship in your dream job what would you do?
- What would you do if money was no object?
- Where would your dream home be?
- Have you ever travelled to a new country and felt at home straightaway, if so where?
- What feels missing or incomplete in your life right now?
- Who was the best manager/leader you ever worked for and why?