Do you dream of quitting your job? Following your heart and starting your own business, have the freedom of being your own boss and connecting again to your creative side. You’ve probably worked hard to get to where you are today. Years of studying, exams, long hours, managing work relationships and a salary which now gives you a fairly good lifestyle. But there is that heavy sinking feeling of gloom when you look around the office and picture yourself doing the same job with a slightly better title ten, twenty years down the line. So one plan is to coast along and have a more fulfilling hobby outside work. Thing is it’s not enough and you know it.
Then what’s stopping you? You are absolutely terrified of not having the security and stability of a regular income. What if the business failed? You may even have commitments, people who depend on your salary. There are countless success stories of entrepreneurs quitting their jobs and going for it. But you are not a risk taker and not that person. Having no money is way too scary.
So what if you could start your business first and then leave your job? How is that possible when you have a full-time job? The answer is 5am and here are seven steps to how and why this is one of the most powerful times of the day for manifesting that dream lifestyle.
- 5am equals goal time. Got goals for your new business? Well, you should. And there’s no better time to review them and plan for them and do your goal tasks than first thing. You should have one major business goal you want to accomplish this week. And every morning, you should decide what one thing you can do today to move yourself further towards that goal. And then, if possible, do that first thing in the morning
- Creativity guru Julia Cameron who wrote The Artists Way invented an exercise called ‘Morning Pages’ which involves writing three sides of papers of whatever is on your mind. Without analysing or being logical about it. Writing about whatever’s on your mind: petty worries, soaring plans, angry tirades. The pages must be done first thing as soon as you wake up at 5. “You’re trying to catch yourself before your ego’s defences are in place.”
- If exercise is your thing combine with a business style podcast, you can get fit, burn calories and gain expert advice with ideas for your business. There are so many amazing podcast series out there full of great advice from PR for SMEs, setting up an online health business, earning passive income through e-courses.
- Create a vision board. This is a fabulously fun activity and it is something you can keep working on. Browse through magazines, newspapers and the internet to find images that resonate with your dream lifestyle. Only use those images that make you feel excited. The pictures can be stuck on a thick paper or poster board. Scribble inspiring quotations and have a photo of yourself in the centre of the board too. 5am is the perfect time to work on this.
- As you shift from an employee mindset to an entrepreneurial mindset connect with your emotional relationship with money. Do you believe you deserve to be rich? What is your money blueprint – is it healthy or do you self-sabotage. How can you attract money if you don’t respect what it can do for you. Get in touch with your relationship with money and if you have ‘money scarcity’ program start working on it now!
- Hire a coach, someone who can support you emotionally and practically as you make this transition. There is no point having a grand plan when irrational fear and issues will self-sabotage. A good coach will also help you figure out your sweet spot, i.e. what your passionate about + what you can be the best in the world at + what can make the amount of money your desire. 5am is a great time to work on your coaching exercises.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin